MELTON, (GREAT) 5½ miles W. by S. of Norwich, has in its parish 429 souls, and 2455 acres of land, nearly all the property of Edward Lombe, Esq., of Melton Hall, a neat mansion with a fine lawn of 100 acres, and containing a highly interesting ornithological collection, of more than 400 specimens, preserved by the celebrated Leadbeater.
The parish had formerly two Churches, in the same grave-yard; but that dedicated to All Saints, was dilapidated in the 12th of Queen Anne, though much of its ruins still remain, richly mantled with ivy. St. Mary's is in good repair, and has a square tower, built in 1440, and containing three bells.
The joint rectories, each valued in the King's Book at £6. 13s. 4d., are in the patronage of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Jas. Willins. The tithes were commuted in 1839, for £754. 19s. 3d. per annum.
In 1350, Henry III. granted a market and fair to his manor of Melton, but both have long been obsolete.
In 1664, Richard Snelling left a close of land, at Wramplingham, charged with the yearly payment of 15 yards of cloth, worth 2s. 6d. per yard, for the poor of Great Melton.
Lombe Edw., Esq. Hall Rose Mr. Thomas Willins Rev. James Rectory Barker Geo. farm-steward farmers. Atmore Wm. Bloom John and Thomas Dodd Edward Philip Howard Matthew Knight Jonth. Pearson George Reynolds John Rose Philip
Copyright © Pat Newby.