Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Mautby

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

MAUTBY, a parish 5 miles N.W. of Yarmouth, has only 66 inhabitants, six scattered farm houses, and 1626 acres of land, of which 900 are arable, 200 meadow, and 450 marsh, including several modern plantations, and a decoy of nine acres.

Robert Fellowes, Esq., is patron of the rectory, lord of the manor, and owner of the whole parish, which was anciently held by the Mautebys, of whom there are some ancient monuments in the Church, which is dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, and is a thatched fabric, with a tower half circular and half octagonal.

The rectory, valued in the King's books at 13. 6s. 8d., has 45A. 2R. of glebe, and is enjoyed by the Rev. Charles Fellowes of Shottisham.

The FARMERS are,

	Brown    Henry          Decoy farm
	Gall     James          Rectory House
	Hewitt   David          Marsh House
	Pearce   Wm.            East House
	Waters   Mark           Mautby Hall
	Parfitt  Joseph         bailiff, Church farm

See also the Mautby parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright Pat Newby.
July 2002