MATTISHALL BURGH, 1 mile N.E. of Mattishall, and 12 miles W. of Norwich, is a parish of scattered houses, containing 230 inhabitants, and 605 acres of land, divided into three farms, and lying in the manors of Whinburgh, Mattishall-Tuddenham, and Belhouse-Hall, but belonging chiefly to the Bishop of Ely, Mrs. Norton, and Mrs. Spark.
The Church is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £3.15s.10d., and consolidated with Hockering. The tithes were commuted, in 1839, for for [sic] £200 per annum. The Church Land, 5A.2R.13A[sic]., is let for £9.
The Fuel Allotment, awarded at the enclosure, in 1811, consists of 17A.3R.15P., let for about £22 a year, which is distributed in coals. The poor have also £7.10s., from Mary Thornton's charity, as noticed with Mattishall, and £2.4s.4d. yearly from the charities of W. Mowting, Robt. Harlestone, and Mr. Barnham.
Norton Mrs. Patience Norton Robert beerhouse Chamberlain Thomas farmer Cunningham James farmer Dunton Stephen farmer
Copyright © Pat Newby.