MATTISHALL is a large and well built village, and parish, 5 miles E. by S. of East Dereham, and 11 miles W. of Norwich, comprising 1,155 inhabitants and 2,238 acres of land, of which about 900 were inclosed in 1801.
It is in several MANORS: Sir W.R. Clayton is lord of Whinburgh; Lord Wodehouse, of Thuxton-Hall and Barnham-Broom; Edward Lombe, Esq. of Thuxton-Waces; Lord Bayning, of East Tuddenham-Cockfields; T.T. Berney, Esq., of Hockering, and Mattishall-Tuddenham; T.B. Evans, Esq., of North Tuddenham-St. Clere and Bellhouse-hall; and G. Cooper, Esq., of Moutneys.
The CHURCH (All Saints,) stands on an eminence in the centre of the village, and is a large Gothic pile, with six bells and a lofty tower.
The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £7.7s.3½d., and in 1831, at £469, in the patronage of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, to which the corn tithes belong. It is consolidated with the rectory of Pattesley, in the incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Paddon. The vicarage was augmented, in 1738, with £200 of Queen Anne's bounty, and £200 given by the Rev. Edward Brook. Pattesley rectory was augmented with £400 of Queen Anne's bounty, in 1741 and 1744, and £200 given by the Bishop, in 1742. Pattesley is rated to the poor, &c., of Oxwick, in Launditch Hundred, but pays a modus of £8.8s. in lieu of tithes, to the vicar of Mattishall. The £800 obtained as above stated for the augmentation of the joint vicarage and rectory, was laid out in the purchase of an estate of 110A., now let for £140 per annum. Here is also 30A. of glebe. In 1839, the tithes of Mattishall were commuted for the yearly payment of £488.7s. to Gonville and Caius College, and £296.6s. to the vicar.
The FUEL ALLOTMENT awarded at the enclosure, in 1803, contains 61A.1R.7P., let for about £70 a year, which is distributed in coals among the poor parishioners, who have also 17s. yearly, from Mowting's charity. In 1689, MARY THORNTON bequeathed for the poor of Mattishall and Mattishall-Burgh, a house and 8A. of land, now let for £45 a year, which is divided equally between the two parishes. In 1558, THOS. HARLESTONE bequeathed to the poor property, which, with that derived from allotments at the enclosure, now comprises five tenements and about 33 acres of land, let for about £90 a year; to which is added the annual rent charge of £2.5s. left by Robert Harlestone, in the 12th of Elizabeth. Out of this income £1.11s. is paid to the parish clerk; £1.8s.4d. to the poor of Mattishall-Burgh; and 10s. for a sermon; and the residue, after paying incidental expenses, is distributed among the poor of Mattishall.
Before the introduction of machinery, Mattishall was largely engaged in the worsted manufacture. A pleasure fair is held here on the Tuesday, in Rogation week, and a hiring for servants at Michaelmas.
The Post Office is at Mr. W. Harrison's, where letters arrive from East Dereham, at ½ past 10 morning.
Baker Mr George Walton Blomfield Mrs Sarah Christmas Mr Samuel Donne Wm. B. Esq. South Green Fisher Wm. horse breaker and letter Godfrey Wm. cooper Goldsmith John farmer and vict., George and Dragon Hewett Mr Chas. Horne Wm. tailor Hoy Dunham John watchmaker Jewell James veterinary surgeon Mendham Wm. parish clerk Moore Henry brewer Neve Joseph cooper Norton Matthew cabinet maker Paddon Rev.Thomas, M.A. vicar Pointer Geo. plumber & vict., Swan Porter Mr Wm. Rollison John earthenware dealer, &c. Randall Robert bricklayer, &c. Richmond James working maltster Sendall Mr Rd. Vassar Mr Geo. Webster Wm. brickmaker, builder, and maltster, South Green Willis Wm. police Wilson Rev. Thos. Wm (Indept.) Wyatt Joseph & Esdaile maltsters and spirit merchants Academies. FARMERS. * at South Green Kittle John, (bdg) Overton Clement Bultitude James Culyer Edward Bakers. Culyer George Culyer John Hatton Jonthn. *Edwards Chas. Leamon John *Edwards C. jun. Newman Thos. Gathercole John Goff Wm. Beer Houses. *Gowing James Green Charles, Heath Carman Thos. Harrison Mattw. Newman Thos. Keeler John & Rt. Pond Wm. King Samuel Tice John Pitcher Robert Sendall Money Blacksmiths. Tice John Tofts James Dobbs Wm Tooley Charles Flegg Henry *Webster Wm. Howlett Mary Wright John Yull Matthew Butchers. Grocers & Drprs. Bultitude Jas Philo Wace Alcock Samuel Parrett Stephen Hatton Henry Keeler John & Rt. Carpenters. insurance agts Pilch Wm. (and tailor) Abon Wm. Walpole John Dd. Outlaw Samuel Randall Lnd. Plumbers, Painters Sharman Edw. & Glaziers. Corn Millers. Hubbard John Pointer George Brassnett Archibald Butter Wm. Saddlers. Leamon John. Lark Wm. Thynne Robert Shoemakers. Bilham James Bowles John Harmer Wm. Knights Joseph Lark Samuel Surgeons. Daveney Horatio Pitt John Ballar Wheelwrights. Dobbs Wm. Sharman Edw.COACH to Norwich, 8½ mg., & to Beetley, 6½ evening.
CARRIER to Norwich, Howes Raynes, Wed. and Saturday.
Copyright © Pat Newby.