The parish is mostly the property of the Rev. John Gunton, the lord of the manor, who has a pleasant seat called Matlask Hall, but J.T. Mott, Esq., has an estate here. In 1852 a beautiful gold niello was picked up in a field in this parish, and is now in the possession of R. Fitch, Esq., F.S.A., of Norwich, It is about an inch in diameter and represents the crucified Saviour, with a Bishop on one side of him and the Baptist and the Agnus Dei on the other.
The CHURCH (St. Peter) has a tower, round at the base and octagonal above, and was partly restored in 1853 at the expense of Mrs. Gunton, and reroofed in 1878. On Sunday, March 19, 1726, the chancel fell in during divine service, but all escaped uninjured. The Registers date from 1558.
The living is a discharged rectory, consolidated with Plumstead, valued in the King's Book at £5, and was augmented in 1731 with £200 of Queen Anne's bounty, and £200 given by Richard Whitaker, laid out in 40 acres of land at Gresham. The old glebe is 10 acres, and the tithes were commuted in 1841 for £130 per annum. The Rev. H.W. Mayow, of Plumstead, is incumbent, and the Queen, as Duchess of Lancaster, is patroness.
The Free Methodists have a small chapel here, built in 1863.
A SCHOOL BOARD for the united districts of Barningham Parva and Barningham Magna, Matlask and Plumstead, was established in 1874, and consists of the following members, viz. - H. Cooke, Esq. (chairman), Rev. E.J. Harper (vice-chairman), Rev. H.W. Mayow, Mr. W.G. Lee, and Mr. J.E. Newstead, for Barningham Parva. The School was built in 1876, at a cost of £1400, to accommodate 120 children.
POST from Norwich, via Hanworth. Wall Letter-Box cleared at 2.20 p.m., on week days only.
Cook Herbert farmer & surveyor, The Hall; & Aldborough & Thurgaton Lee Wm. Geo. farmer; and Wickmere Leeder Wm. blacksmith, wheelwright, and overseer Leeder Wm. jun. shopkpr. & overseer Lubbock John parish clerk Wilkinson Walter schoolmaster
Copyright © Pat Newby.