Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Little Massingham

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

MASSINGHAM (LITTLE) parish, 1 mile N. of Great Massingham, and 13 miles E. by N. of Lynn, has a pleasant rectory-house near the church, four scattered farm houses, twenty cottages, 152 inhabitants, and 2,028 acres of land, all enclosed, and belonging to Joseph Wilson, Esq., the lord of the manor and patron of the CHURCH, a small but neat edifice, dedicated to St. Andrew, and having several monumental inscriptions to the Mordaunts, who were formerly lords of the manor.

The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £9. 13s. 4d., and now enjoyed by the Rev. Chas. Davies Brereton, A.M. (sic), author of "An Enquiry into the Workhouse System and the Laws of Maintenance in Agricultural Districts." Also of "A Practical Enquiry into the number, means of employment, and wages of agricultural Labourers."

The tithes have been commuted, and the benefice, including the glebe, is now worth £575 per annum. The parish clerk has the rent of an acre of land.

Directory:-

	Brereton   Rev. C.D., M.A.  Rectory
	Stanford   Henry            parish-clerk

	   farmers

	Fisher     Edward
	Mason      John
	Stebbing   William

See also the Little Massingham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
March 2000