MARSHAM, a large village, pleasantly situated on the turnpike, 2 miles S. of Aylsham, and 10 miles N. of Norwich, has in its parish 698 souls, and 1819 acres of land, but only 1385 acres are assessable. The soil belongs to a number of proprietors, many of whom purchased their estates, about twenty years ago, of Viscount Anson, now Earl of Lichfield. Wm. Repton, Esq., is lord of the manor. The Hall, a neat white mansion, has lately been purchased for his own residence, by the Rev. Henry P. Marsham, rector of Brampton, and is now undergoing extensive improvements.
In the parish are 80 looms, but only about ten were at work in 1844.
The CHURCH (All Saints,) is a neat fabric, with a tower and eight bells. It has an ancient screen, and a curious old font, on which are carved the sacraments of the Romish church, four Saints, four Confessors, and St. George and the Dragon. In the windows are many mutilated remains of stained glass, and in the chancel are several brasses in memory of the Norton, Atthill, and other families.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10. 12s. 9d. It is in the gift of the Earl of Lichfield, and incumbency of the Rev. John Gunton, for whom a new Rectory House is about to be erected, the old one being much dilapidated. The glebe is 66A. 1R. 19P., and the tithes were commuted in 1839 for £332. 9s. 2d., exclusive of £30 per annum for the impropriate tithes of about 100 acres.
Here is a small Primitive Methodist Chapel.
The Town Meadow, 4A. 2R. 18P., held of the manor of Hevingham-with-Marsham, has belonged to the poor from time immemorial, and they also have 8A. 2R. 21P., purchased with £100 left by Thos. Bulwer, in 1693. To these lands, an allotment of 3A. 20P. was awarded at the enclosure, and the whole now produces a yearly rental of £14. 10s. The Fuel Allotment, 181A. 6P., was awarded at the enclosure, in 1801, for the poor to cut fuel thereon. It is now thickly covered with Scotch firs. The poor have also two yearly rent-charges, viz., 20s. left by John Swan in 1692, out of Feverill's farm, and 15s. left by Elizabeth Swan, in 1693, out of Wanley's closes.
The notorious Titus Oates was the son of the Rev. Saml. Oates, a former rector of this parish, and is supposed to have been born here.
Bacon Mrs Mildred Blyth Joseph blacksmith Case Thomas Henry gentleman Cossey Thomas lessee of toll-bar Crane Wm. blacksmith Eldridge Thomas joiner & pump mkr Elvin William corn miller Gooch George cattle dealer Gunton Rev John rector Heasel Miss A. Hill William supt. registrar, and clerk to the Aylsham Union and to the Commissioners of Taxes Jarvis Edward grocer (& Aylsham) Jones George shoemaker and baker Mack Robert joiner, &c. Marsham Rev Henry Philip rector of Brampton, Hall Moore Edward blacksmith Moore James vict. White Hart Neave Samuel cooper Skipper Isaac shoemaker Watts Robert Hall vict. Plough and Shuttle Wright Miss Ann Wright John relieving officer & regr FARMERS. (* are owners.) * Eade Hartt * Greenwood Chs. * Howlett John (& chief constbl.) Cross gn. Jones Geo. Saml. * Moore Alice * Rounce Benj. Shickle Robert * Watts John * Whiting Thos.
Copyright © Pat Newby.