[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
MARLINGFORD is a parish in the vale of the Yare, 6 miles W. of Norwich, and is in Forehoe union, hundred, and petty sessional division, Norwich county court district and bankruptcy district, Norwich polling district of South Norfolk, Forehoe division of Hingham rural deanery and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 226 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 661 acres of land. B.E. Fletcher, Esq., of Marlingford Hall, is lord of the manor and owner of 240 acres, and the Rev. Henry Evans Lombe and John Rose, Esq., are the other landowners.
The CHURCH (Assumption of the Virgin Mary) was thoroughly restored in 1881, when a new porch was built and the north aisle rebuilt on the foundations of a former one which had been in ruins for upwards of 100 years, the nave was re-roofed with tiles, a font of Norman transitional was well restored, the whole of the edifice being fitted with open benches. It comprises nave, chancel, north aisle, south porch which has a fine Norman doorway, and square tower with one bell.
In the church are two piscinas; that in the north aisle, a holy-water stoup, and the original staircase to the rood loft were discovered during the restoration, when a new stone pulpit was presented by Sir Frederick Vincent, Bart., in memory of his son, a former pupil of the present rector, Rev. George Richards, D.D. In the church are memorial stones of the Cullyer, Jermy, Colley, Clarke, Vincent, Life, Rant, and Greene families.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7 12s. 8d.; and was augmented in 1725-6, with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty, and £200 given by Rt. Fellowes, Esq. The tithes have been commuted for £102 per annum. Thos. L'Estrange Ewen, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. George Richards, D.D., is the rector, and has 35 acres of glebe and a good residence near the church.
A new NATIONAL SCHOOL of the Elizabethan style of architecture was built by the Greene family in 1871, and is now attended by about 50 children.
The poor have the interest of £10 left by Mary Wright in 1798, and that of £500, left by the late Miss Ann Chandler Greene, who died in 1875, invested by the Charity Commissioners, which is distributed at Christmas by the rector and churchwardens.
POST OFFICE at Mrs. Mary Bean's. Letters arrive at 7 a.m., despatched at 4.45 p.m. viâ Norwich, Hethersett is nearest Money Order, and Wymondham nearest Telegraph Office.
Blyth Frederick blacksmith Coote George miller & corn merchant, Marlingford mills Fletcher Mr B.E. Marlingford hall Fox Thomas parish clerk Hart Philip steward for Mr B.E. Fletcher Hipperson Geo. farmer & bricklayer Howes Miss Elizabeth Natl. schlmstrs Mace John florist Matthews Henry shopkeeper Richards Rev. George, D.D. rector, The Rectory Riches Robert farmer, Old hall Sadd John bricklayer & vict. Bell Inn
CARRIERS from Barnham Broom to Norwich pass through on Wednesday and Saturday
See also the Marlingford parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.