[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
MARLINGFORD parish, in the vale of the Yare, 6 miles W. of Norwich, has 224 inhabitants, and 617 acres of land, mostly the property of Thomas L'Estrange Ewen, Esq., the lord of the manor, and partly belonging to John Race, Esq.
The Church (Virgin Mary) is a very plain thatched fabric, with nave, chancel, south porch, and square tower with one bell. It has a Norman doorway and a piscina, and in the chancel are some tablets of the Greene family. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7. 12s. 8d.; and was augmented in 1725-'6, with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty, and £200 given by Rt. Fellowes, Esq. The tithes have been commuted for £162 per annum. Thos. Greene, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. John Nelson Cooper, B.A., is the incumbent, and has 32 acres of glebe and a good residence near the church.
The School, attended by 25 children, is a small building erected in 1842; but a new one is about to be built on a piece of land allotted at the enclosure in 1863.
The poor have the interest of £10, left by Mary Wright, in 1798.
POST OFFICE at Mary Waters's. Letters despatched via Norwich, at 4.30 p.m.
Bailey John parish clerk Bowhill Andrew shopkeeper Brighty Charles blacksmith Cooper Rev. John N., B.A. Rectory Gowing John Dunham corn miller Hipperson Jas. bricklayer & vict. Bell Mace John travelling hawker Pestel Miles horse dealer Riches Henry Bacon farmer Riches Robert farmer, Hall Sayer David corn miller
See also the Marlingford parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.