William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
MARKSHALL, sometimes called Mattishall Heath, is a small parish
in the vale of the river Tas, 2½ miles S. of Norwich, in Henstead
union, Humbleyard hundred, Swainsthorpe petty sessional division,
Norwich county court district, Norfolk bankruptcy district, Norwich
polling district of South Norfolk, West Brooke rural deanery and Norwich
archdeaconry. It had 54 inhabitants in 1881, living on 548 acres, and
has a rateable value of £1173.
Nearly all the parish is in one farm, occupied by Mr. Thos. Allen, and
belonging to Mrs. Arthy, of Caister St. Edmund, on the opposite side of
the river, with which this parish has been consolidated in ecclesiastical
affairs since 1695, when the church here was dilapidated, though some
of its remains are still extant.
POST OFFICE at Caister St. Edmund.
Allen Thomas farmer, and Cantley
See also the Markshall parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and
the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web
pages. Please see the
Copyright © Pat Newby.