[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
MARHAM, or Cherry Marham, a long village and parish, with several good houses, 7 miles W. of Swaffham, and 8 miles N.E. by E. of Downham. It is in Downham union and county court district, Lynn bankruptcy district, Clackclose hundred and petty sessional division, Downham polling district of West Norfolk, Fincham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 752 inhabitants in 1881, living on 3966A. 3R. 24P. of land, and has a rateable value of £4499 15s.
Marham was formerly noted for its great abundance of cherries and walnuts; but most of the walnut trees were cut down during the French war, and sold to gunmakers, some of the largest for as much as £100 each. The principal owners of the soil are Thomas Leigh Hare, Robert C. Winearls, Henry Winearls, and Henry Villebois, Esqrs.; the first is lord of the manors of Newhall and Shouldham; and the last is lord of Oldhall and Westacre, and resides at Marham House.
There was formerly a nunnery here, belonging to Ely Abbey, founded for the Cistercians, in 1251, and granted at the dissolution to Sir Nicholas and Robert Hare. Some remains of it may be seen adjoining a farmhouse and outbuildings, a little west of the CHURCH (Holy Trinity), which is a large edifice comprising nave, south aisle, chancel, and lofty square tower with six bells. It contains several painted windows given by H. Villebois, Esq., and an ancient monument to Humphrey de Shouldham. The church was restored and reseated, in 1875, at a cost of £1500, towards which St. John's College, Cambridge, gave £250.
Here was another church (St. Andrew), and some traces of its foundation are still extant.
The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £6 13s. 4d., was augmented in 1738 with £200 Queen Anne's Bounty, and £200 given by the Rev. Edward Brooke. The registers date from 1562. The Rev. Henry Josiah Sharpe, M.A., is incumbent; there is a good vicarage house, and 11 acres of glebe. The advowson and appropriation of the rectorial tithes belong to St. John's College, Cambridge. In 1840, the rectorial tithes were commuted for £640, and the vicarial for £371 per annum.
Two Poor's Allotments, containing 200 acres of fen land, were awarded under the enclosure act of the 33rd of George III. Every poor parishioner was formerly allowed to cut fuel on this land. In 1868 a new scheme was issued by the Charity Commissioners for the management of this charity. The lords of the two manors, the churchwardens and overseers for the time being, and the vicar are the trustees. Mr. Thomas Brown is treasurer. The annual rent is about £100.
The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel in the village, the latter was erected in 1879, at a cost of £530, and will seat 250 persons. It is a handsome structure of red brick, with white brick dressings.
The NATIONAL SCHOOL, now attended by about 130 children, was built in 1841, with a house for the master, at a cost of about £400, on land given by Sir Thomas Hare, and considerably enlarged, in 1872, at a cost of £400.
The family of Winearls has resided at East Gate for nearly three centuries. This parish will participate in the Nar valley drainage scheme.
POST and MONEY ORDER OFFICE at Mr. Robert Parlett's. Box cleared at 5 p.m. weekdays, 10 a.m. Sundays, viâ Downham, but Narborough is the nearest Telegraph Office.
Able John butcher Anthony Thos. Hy. frmr. Manor farm Baldry George farmer Battle Frederick farmer Boughen James cowkeeper Brown Thomas farmer, The Hall Butter Thomas farmer Butter William vict. Ball Inn Cackett Isaac farmer Codling Henry bootmaker Dent Geo. corn miller, baker, farmer and tax collector Dye John beerhouse Dye Wm. carpenter and parish clerk Fox William carpenter Gooderson Henry bootmaker Gooderson Robert tailor Gooderson Thomas beerhouse Goodwyn William farmer, The Abbey Harvey Reuben Thompson grocer, draper and tailor Harwin Jas. & Alfred frmrs. Lion hs Hewing Edward grocer and butcher Hudson Jno. grcr. & drpr.; h Wereham Ketteringham William bootmaker Mason Henry bricklayer Mason Robert bricklayer Miller William blacksmith Neville George farmer & cattle dealer Parlett Robt. pstmstr. grocer, draper, newsagent and sauce manufacturer Peck Walter farm bailiff Ramm John vict. Fox & Hounds, and pig dealer Rands Walter Gladstone schoolmaster Stebbings James farm bailiff Sharpe Rev. Henry late Fellow of St. John's Coll. Josiah, M.A. Camb. vicar Steeles Wm. carpenter & wheelwright Steeles Wm. junr. whlwrght.& mchnst Towler James farmer Villebois Hy. Esq. D.L., J.P. Marham hs Wilkinson Jeremiah grocer, draper, baker and pork butcher Winearls Philip carrier Winearls Robert Collison farmer and landowner, Eastgate house
CARRIER - Philip Winearls, to Lynn, Tues. Thurs. and Sat.
See also the Marham parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.