[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
MARHAM, or Cherry Marham, is a long village with several good houses, 7 miles W. of Swaffham, and 8 miles N.E. by E. of Downham. Its parish contains 817 inhabitants, and about 4,000 acres of land, a great portion of which is in large open fields, having perhaps the finest grass-turf in the county, and remarkable for large hares, said to be the best runners in the kingdom! Marham was formerly noted for its great abundance of cherries and walnuts; but most of the trees of the latter fruit were cut down during the late war, and sold to the gun-makers, - some of the largest for as much as £100 each. The principal owners of the soil are Sir Thomas Hare, and Rt. G. Winearls and Henry Villebois, Esqrs.; the first is lord of the manors of New Hall and Shouldham, and the last is lord of Old Hall and Westacre, and resides at Marham House.
There was formerly a Nunnery here, belonging to Ely abbey, founded for Cistercians, in 1251, and granted at the dissolution to Sir Nicholas and Robert Hare. Some remains of it may be seen in a farm-house and outbuildings, a little west of the CHURCH, (Holy Trinity,) which is a large edifice, with a lofty square tower and six bells. Here was another church,(St. Andrew,) and some traces of its foundations are still extant.
The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £6 13s. 4d., and in 1831 at £434, was augmented in 1738 with £200 of Queen Anne's bounty, and £200 given by the Rev. Edward Brooke. The Rev. Arthur Browne, M.A., is incumbent, and the advowson and appropriation of the rectorial tithes belong to St. John's College, Cambridge. In 1840, the rectorial tithes were commuted for £640, and the vicarial for £371 per annum.
Two Poor's Allotments, containing 200A. of fen land, were awarded under the enclosure act of the 33rd of George III. Every parishioner is allowed to cut fuel on this land; and the herbage is let for about £35 a year, which, after the payment of drainage rates, is divided among the poor.
The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel in the village. The National School was built in 1841, with a house for the master, at the cost of about £400, on land given by Sir Thos. Hare.
Browne Rev. Arthur, M.A. vicar Bouchen Mr. James Fox Mr. Thos. Gathercole James victualler, Bell Gooderson Thomas shoemaker Hoggett Mr. Wm. Jerrold John fishmonger Maddison George grocer, &c. Parish Charles corn miller Parish James grocer and draper Rands William bricklayer Raven Ann shopkeeper Ryley David victualler, Dog & Duck Taylor Mr. Thos. Thorp P. flour seller Villebois Henry, Esq. Marham House Beer Houses. Butchers. Dye Robert Addison James Dye William Butter John Parlett Benjamin Rands John Rands Thomas Blacksmiths. Carpenters, &c. Jempson Robert Butter Thomas Parfrey William Dye William Steel Carwood Taylor James FARMERS. * are Owners. * Brown Davis Lambert Henry * Makemade Edw. Tompson Rd. Mills * Winearls Robert Good East Gate
CARRIER, Wm. Yaxley, to Lynn Saturday
See also the Marham parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.