Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Marham

Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1831

MARHAM, a parish in the hundred of CLACKCLOSE, county of NORFOLK, 7½ miles (W. by N.) from Swaffham, containing 678 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk, and diocese of Norwich, rated in the king's books at £6. 13. 4., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of St. John's College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. A Cistercian nunnery, in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary, was founded here in 1251, by Isabella de Albini, Countess of Arundel, which at the dissolution had a revenue of £42. 4. 7.


See also the Marham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
April 2005