MANNINGTON parish, 5 miles N.N.W. of Aylsham, is in Aylsham union and county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, South Erpingham hundred and petty sessional division, Aylsham polling district of North Norfolk, Ingworth rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It has a rateable value of £572, and had 8 inhabitants in 1881, living on 548 acres.
Most of the parish belongs to the Right Hon. Horatio William Walpole, 4th Earl of Orford, and Baron Walpole of Walpole and Wolterton, who occasionally resides at Mannington Hall, an ancient mansion, which has been recently re-edified and considerably improved. William Lummer, who built the Hall, had a license to make a castle of it.
The Mere, a large moated mansion, is so called from a pond, which is supplied by several copious springs. It is occupied by Mrs. Mary Dixon, who farms all the parish.
The CHURCH has long been a neglected ruin, and its discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6 13s. 4d., is consolidated with Itteringham. It contains a tombstone to Sir Charles Potts, Bart., who formerly lived at the Hall, and died in 1731.
POST from Norwich, viâ Aylsham. Aylsham is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office
Dawson George gardener Dixon Mrs Mary farmer, The Mere Orford Earl of Mannington hall
Copyright © Pat Newby.