MANNINGTON parish, 5 miles N.N.W. of Aylsham, has only 6 inhabitants and 549 acres of land, belonging to the Right Hon. Horatio William Walpole, 4th EARL of ORFORD, and Baron Walpole of Walpole and Wolterton, who occasionally resides at Mannington Hall, an ancient mansion, which has been recently re-edified and considerably improved. William Lummer, who built the Hall, had license to make a castle of it.
The Mere, a large moated mansion, is so called from a pond, which is supplied by several copious springs. It is occupied by Mr. John Crowe, who farms all the parish.
The Church has long been a neglected ruin, and its discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6. 13s. 4d., is consolidated with Itteringham. It contains a tombstone to Sir Charles Potts, Bart., who formerly lived at the Hall, and died in 1731.
POST from Norwich, via Aylsham.
Copyright © Pat Newby.