Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Mannington

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Richard Johns]

MANNINGTON parish, 5 miles N.N.W. of Aylsham, has only 20 souls, and 549 acres of land, belonging to the Earl of Orford, and in two farms, called the Hall and Mere, the former occupied by Thomas Playford, and the latter by Mr. John Cook, of Thwaite. Wm. Lummer, who built the Hall, had license to make a castle of it. The Mere, a large moated mansion, is so called from the pond which is supplied by several copious springs.

The CHURCH has long been a neglected ruin, and its discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6. 13s. 4d., is consolidated with Itteringham.


See also the Mannington parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
July 1999