Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Lyng

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Jayne Cole]

LYNG, a pleasant village, on the south side of the river Wensum, 6 miles N.E. by E. of East Dereham, and 5 miles S.W. of Reepham, has in its parish a large corn and paper mill, 1899A. 2R. 22P. of fertile land, and 601 inhabitants, of whom 86 are in EASTHAUGH, a small hamlet, on an eminence, one mile S. of the village.

Edward Lombe, Esq., is lord of the manor, (fine arbitrary,) but a great part of the soil belongs to H.T. Custance, S. Mills, and Robert Mitford, Esqrs., and several smaller owners. In the 17th of Edward III., Sir John de Norwich had license to make a castle of the manor-house, some traces of which are still extant on the crown of an acclivity west of the village.

A fair is held fiere [sic, ie here] on Nov.20th.

The Church (St Michael,) has a tower and six bells, and in its windows are some fragments of stained glass. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £11. 0s. 6d., and in 1839 at £508, has 58A. 3R. 5P. of glebe. E. Lombe, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. Henry Evans, incumbent.

The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here.

The Church Land, 2A. 28P., is let for £2. 6s. At the enclosure, in 1808, 16A. 1R. 9P. was awarded to the poor for fuel. In 1618, Solomon Leech left the yearly rent charges of £2. 12s. for the poor, 10s. for a sermon, and 1s.4d. for repairing the bell ropes. The poor have also the yearly doles of 20s., left by John Starling, in 1728; and 5s., left by the Rev. Thomas Roberts.

In the following Directory, those marked * are at EASTHAUGH, and the rest at LYNG.

	* Blythe    James            painter, glazier, &c
	  Brown     Geo. Esq.
	              & Rev Wm. B.A.
	  Filby     George           miller & beerhs. kpr
	  Francis   Sarah            vict. King's Head
	  Gath      Francis          vict. Fox & Hounds
	  Mace      Barnabas         smith and farrier
	  Money     Wm.              paper mfr. & miller [See note below]
	  Murray    William          bricklayer
	  Nicholson John             butcher & lime brnr
	  Robberds  Chas. Augustus   paper mfr. & miller [See note below]
	  Town      Thomas           schoolmaster

	     Bakers.

	  Cobers    William
	  Howard    William

	     FARMERS.

	  Bloom     John
	* Blythe    James
	* Bunn      William
	  Bunn      Samuel
	  English   James
	  Frost     William          Manor House
	  Mace      Barnabas
	  Nicholson John
	  Patrick   Dennis
	* Spragg    Samuel  
	* Terrey    Theodrk. 
	  Waters    W. & Rd.
	* Wright    John      
	* Wilkin    Samuel

	     Grocers & Dprs.

	  Baker     Chas.            regr [sic]
	  Smith     John
	  Stebbings George

	     Shoemakers.

	  Burton    John
	  Filby     Miles
	  Francis   Sarah
	  Howard    Abrahm.
	  Speakman  Austin

	     Tailors.

	  Frost     Robert
	  Hudson    Wm.

	     Wheelwrights.

	  Isbel     Charles
	  Porter    Charles

Note: In the original, this is:
     Robberds (Chas. Augustus,) & Money (Wm.) paper mfrs. & millers
See also the Lyng parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
November 1999