LYNFORD parish, 7 to 8 miles N.N.W. of Thetford, is in Thetford union and county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Grimshoe hundred and petty sessional division, Methwold polling district of West Norfolk, Cranwich rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 109 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1500 acres of land.
The Hall, a handsome and spacious brick mansion, with stone dressings, in the Elizabethan style, built by the late S.L. Stephens, Esq., in 1858-9, is the seat and property of his widow, who is lady of the manor, and sole owner of the parish.
The CHURCH was demolished several centuries ago, and its site is now enclosed and planted with Scotch firs, in the south-west part of the courtyard leading to the hall. The benefice lapsed with the church.
The CATHOLIC CHAPEL, erected in 1879 by Mrs. Lyne Stephens, is a handsome building of flint, with stone dressings, consisting of a nave having a tiled roof and a small cupola. The roof inside is of stained oak, the beams of which rest upon carved stone corbels. At the east end is a fine stone reredos. The floor within the altar rails is laid with mosaic tiles. The chapel is seated with carved oak benches, and has a carved oak screen. At the entrance door is a fine marble piscina.
POST from Mundford.
Stephens Mrs. The Hall
Copyright © Pat Newby.