LYNFORD parish has only 105 inhabitants, and about 1100 acres of land, from 7 to 8 miles N.N.W. of Thetford. Sir Richard Sutton, Bart., of Norwood Park, Nottinghamshire, purchased this estate and that of Cranwich, of J.W.D. Merest, Esq., about 22 years ago, when he also purchased the adjoining estate of West Tofts Hall, which is occupied by his farm steward, and occasionally visited by him.
Lynford Hall, now occupied by Sir Richard's servants, was built in 1717, and its park is added to that of West Tofts.
The CHURCH was demolished several centuries ago, and its site is now enclosed and planted with Scotch firs, in the south-west part of the court yard leading to the hall. The benefice was annihilated with the church.
The only farm house in the parish is occupied by Wightman Sooby.
Copyright © Pat Newby.