LUDHAM, a large and well-built village, 13 miles N.E. by E. of Norwich, and N.W. of Yarmouth, gives name to a Police Division, and has in its parish 924 inhabitants, and 2977 acres of land, bounded on three sides by the Bure, the Thurne, and the stream which flows from the Broads, near Catfield.
It is in two manors, called Walton Hall and Ludham Bacon, of both [of] which the Bishop of Norwich is lord and principal owner of the soil; the whole being granted to the see by Henry VIII., (in exchange for other estates,) after the dissolution of the abbey of St.Bennet's at the Holm, to which this parish belonged. This monastery stood in the adjacent parish of Horning, but its mitred abbot had here a residence and farm called The Grange, which was afterwards used as the Bishop's Palace, but the greater part of it was burnt down in 1611; since which the domestic chapel has been converted into a granery [sic], and the remains of the palace into a farm house, now called Ludham Hall.
The Church (St. Catherine) is a large and beautiful Gothic structure, with three aisles, a chancel, a tower, and five bells. Its interior has many antique monumental inscriptions and a much-admired Gothic screen and font, enriched with carvings of lions, angels, &c. The screen was formerly richly gilt, and had the figures of the twelve Apostles painted in the lower compartments.
The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £5.6s.8d., and in 1831 at £303. It is now enjoyed by the Rev. W.A. Bathurst, M.A., with 31A.1R.1P. of glebe. The Bishop of Norwich is the patron, and appropriator of the rectorial tithes. About 314 acres are tithe-free, and the rent-charge on the remainder is £943.
The Wesleyans and Baptists have each a chapel here. In Elizabeth's reign, Bishop Redmor procured a fair and market for Ludham, and the former is still held as a pleasure mart, on the Thursday and Friday after Trinity Sunday. A hiring session is held here on Old Michaelmas day. Here is a National School, built in 1841.
The three Poor's Allotments, awarded at the enclosure in 1802, comprise 124A.3R.35P. One of them (about 80A.) is a wet marsh, abounding in reeds, though let for about £70 a year. Another, containing 11A.2R.4P. is let for about £12, and the other (33A.1R.31P.) is used for cutting turves and rushes, but a few poor people are allowed to pasture cattle upon it at the charge of £1 per year per head. The rents and profits are distributed in coals, together with £12.5s a year, arising from 8A.2R.5P., awarded at the enclosure in lieu of land, left by Phillippo and Fras. Haddon in 1630, and other donors; and 50s. a year, as the interest of £50, derived from the sale of the "Town House," in 1790.
Barry Thomas hair dresser Bathurst Rev. Walter Apsley, M.A. vicar Bridgeman Wm. excise officer Clarke John corn and coal mert. Clarke Mary butcher Coustos Hiram boarding academy Dale John baker Deeker Mr John England Wm. millwright Farrow John plumber and glazier Forder Rd farrier and cow leech Green Thomas joiner and builder Huke Samuel Taylor surgeon Lacey James sadler Lincoln Richd. National schoolmr. Littlewood Jas. vict. King's Arms Mack Thos. gent. Mornement Mark Daniel gent Myhill Samuel glover Newton Robert vict. Crown Read Mrs Esther Rust George solicitor Sadler John druggist and ironmgr. Smith George parish clerk Smith Lewis Hiram supt. of police Blacksmiths. Annison Edm. Thurgate Thos. Varley Benj. Bricklayers. Davey Wm. and David Lincoln Wm. Corn Millers. Grapes Simon Jay Thomas FARMERS. (* are owners.) *Bond George Jones Thos. hind [sic] *Beasey Charles *Minns John Clark John *Page John *Garret Ryal *Page Wm. Sherwood Gaul Widow *Pettingle Eliz. Green James *Pigg Wm. *Green Thomas Rice Robert Greenacre Jas. *Slipper Thos. *Hacon Wm. (malster) *Thaxter Wm. *Heath Thomas Grocers & Dprs. Bayles John Fairhead Clarsa. Fendick Wm. Tailors. Colman James Smith George Shoemakers. Ditcham John Green John Rice Robert Smith George Wheelwrights. Annison Edm. Coll Wm. Fulcher JamesCARRIER.
Copyright © Pat Newby.