LOPHAM (SOUTH), a village and parish, adjoining and participating in the linen trade of North Lopham, is 4 miles S.E. by S. of East Harling, and 5 miles W. by N. of Diss. It is in Guiltcross union and hundred, Guiltcross and Shropham petty sessional division, Diss county court district, Ipswich bankruptcy district, Harling polling district of South Norfolk, Rockland rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry.
It had 529 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1937 acres, and has a rateable value of £2977. The parish lies in the same manor as North Lopham, and belongs mostly to Thomas Buckenham, Esq. and the Duke of Norfolk; but here are many small proprietors.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew) is a large edifice, comprising nave, south aisle, and chancel, with a fine Norman tower, containing six bells, and rising between the nave and chancel, which are of much later date, the former being rebuilt after 1479, and the latter about the year 1370. The rectory is consolidated with North Lopham, in the patronage of the representatives of the Rev. J. Bateman, and incumbency of the Rev. John Fitz Herbert Bateman, M.A., who has here a good residence, and 45 acres of glebe. The tithes of this parish were commuted in 1845 for £508 per annum.
The School, with master's house adjoining, was built in 1863 at a cost of £800, and is attended by 90 children.
Here is a small Baptist Chapel.
On the east side of the two Lophams, in the swampy grounds, called Lopham Gate, are two copious springs, which give rise to the rivers Waveney and Little Ouse, the former running eastward to Yarmouth, and the latter westward to Thetford and Lynn, and both forming the boundary of Norfolk and Suffolk.
The Town Lands, given by John Barker, in 1468, John Jessup, in 1672, and other donors, consist of a farm of 60A. 1R., in Wortham and Redgrave, let for £86 a year; 16A. 2R. 13P., in Langmere, let for £29; 37 acres of heath land, let for £37; 4 cottages £13; and 15A. 2R. 27P., in quarter acre allotments, let for £27. One-fourth of these rents is applied in defraying the expenses of the church, and the remainder is divided between the school and poor.
The Fuel Allotments, awarded at the enclosure in 1815, comprise 126A. 27P., on which the poor cut turf, and the herbage is let for about £10, which is expended in repairing the fences. In 1815 William Branch Elliott left £400, to be invested in the funds, and the dividends applied yearly in a distribution in sheets and blankets among the poor of South Lopham. This charity now consists of £452 8d., three per cent. consols.
POST OFFICE at Mr. Thomas Cox's. Letters from East Harling viâ Thetford arrive at 8.40 a.m., depart at 4.35 p.m. Sundays depart at 10 a.m. Kenninghall is the nearest Money Order Office.
Bateman Rev. John Fitz Herbert, M.A. rector Bedwell Jas. frmr. whlwrt. & carpenter Blowers Wm. wheelwright and smith Bowell Levi farmer Bowell William linen manufacturer Bowhill Jacob blacksmith Buck Arthur Wm. vict. White Horse Buckenham Thomas linen manufctr. (T.W. & J.) farmer and landowner Buckenham T.W. & J. linen mfrs. and warehs. Saracen's Head, London, E.C. Bullock Walter frmr. Poplar Tree farm Cox Thomas agent to the Norwich Equitable Fire Insurance Co. Post Office Crowe Edgar frmr. Walnut Tree farm Crowe Edward Henry & Mrs Elizbth. master and mistress National school Downing Saml. coal dlr. & newsagent Eacock Mr Frost farmer Fisher Philip farmer Garnham Thomas carpenter Garnham Walter carpenter Gibson Arthur miller and farmer Goddard Henry builder and contractor, and victualler, Chequers Grant Joseph boot and shoe maker Grant Mrs Phillis baker Hearn John farmer, Dairy farm Laud John farmer, Chequers farm Musket Mr Edward The Hall farm Orford Edmd. farmer and landowner Pearce George farmer Rush James farmer Sare William grocer and draper Seakin Frederick parish clerk Self James shopkeeper Self William farmer, Hill farm Soar William farmer Tyler George farmer Wallis Seth shopkeeper Witton Edward farmer Witton Edward, jun. farmer and assistant overseer Womack Robert miller, corn mert. and landowner; and KenninghallCARRIER - John Grant to Diss, Friday
Copyright © Pat Newby.