LOPHAM, (NORTH) a pleasant village, 3½ miles S.E. by S. of East Harling, has in its parish 815 inhabitants, and 1,966A. of land, of which 900A., called Lopham Park, belong to the Duke of Norfolk, the lord of the manor, in which are numerous small copyholds, subject to arbitrary fines. This manor comprehends also South Lopham; and the two villages have long been famous for the manufacture of linen or hempen cloth; and though but little yarn is now spun here by hand-wheels, here are about 100 looms employed in weaving sheeting, diaper, huckaback, &c., which are sold unbleached by the manufacturers, who hawk them in their own carts over this and the adjacent counties.
The CHURCH (St. Nicholas) is a large and handsome structure, with a square tower; and the living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £17. 0s. 5½d., and in 1831, at £642, with that of South Lopham annexed to it, in the gift of G.H. Barrow, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Jas. Barrow, M.A. The benefice has a small rectorial manor in the two adjoining parishes, and must be held by a fellow of St. John's College, Cambridge. The tithes were commuted in 1845.
Here is a small Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1811.
Mary Williamson, in 1696, left 7A. 1R. 20P. of land, at Garboldisham, for apprenticing poor children, or clothing the poor of this parish. It is now let for £14. 16s. The FUEL ALLOTMENT, 103A. 2R. 11P., upon which the poor cut fuel, was awarded at the enclosure, in 1815.
The TOWN LANDS, partly purchased, and partly given by Robt. Bringloe, in 1687, and other donors, consist of about 43A., in the parishes of Lopham, Garboldisham, and Shelfanger. They are let, with two cottages, at rents amounting to £84 per annum, which is applied in the service of the church. Here is also a house and garden, occupied by several poor families, rent free.
Beales Jeremiah beer house Bird John shopkeeper Boggis John saddler Burrell Mr Wm. Cobb Coleby G. schoolmaster Gooch Thos. vict. King's Head Hind Wm. Thos. veterinary surgeon Hunt Wm. carpenter Jessup Geo. wheelwright Jolly Wm. vict. Bull Lawrence Wm. blacksmith Nunn John vict. Bell Payne Wm. tea dealer Porter John grocer and draper Robinson Wm. grocer and draper Ruddock Thos. stone mason Wharton George, Esq. The Grange Womack John baker Womack Robert miller Womack Micah Bricklayers. Linen Mfrs. Corbell George Beales Robert Taylor Thomas Buckenham Ths. Coats Jonas Butchers. Cobb Coleby Cobb Samuel Beales John Gooch Daniel Jolly John Gooch Thomas Gooch Samuel Shaw George Womack Wm. FARMERS. Joiners. (* are Owners.) Betts Cphr. Hunt William Lodge Ruddock John Jolly John Tuff James * Lovack Wm. Mornement Jas., Shoemakers. Park * Rolfe George Bowell Levi * Rolfe John Coe Cornelius * Wharton Geo. Nunn Robert * Wharton John Pollard William * Wharton Thos. * Womack James Tailors. * Womack Robert * Womack Thos. Chamberlain Jno. (& draper) * Womack Wm. Cobb John Womack Wm. jun Green Charles Sare Thomas
Copyright © Pat Newby.