Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Long Stratton St. Mary

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright Ann Duncan]

STRATTON ST. MARY, or LONG STRATTON, is a small Market Town, on the Roman street or way which led to Caistor; being 10 miles S. by W. of Norwich, 9 miles N. by E. of Scole Inn, and 100 miles N.E. of London. Its parish contains 690 inhabitants, and 1517A. of land, including the hamlet of Wood-green, 1 mile E.N.E. of the town, which forms a long street of good houses.

It has a small corn MARKET every Tuesday afternoon, at the Angel Inn, and two FAIRS yearly, on Whit-Tuesday and October 12th, for pedlery, &c. Here is also a Hiring Session on the day before that at Shottisham. The lord of the manor and principal owner of the soil is the Rev. Ellis Burroughes, of Stratton House, a handsome brick mansion on a pleasant eminence. The Hall, which had a deep moat, is now a farm house.

In 1773, several Roman urns were found here in a gravel pit, six feet below the surface; and about a furlong from the town was discovered a hearth, four yards square, and having upon it ashes and burnt earth, three inches deep, with two imperfect copper coins.

The CHURCH (St. Mary,) is a large handsome fabric, with an ancient round tower, containing five bells, and surmounted by a short spire. The tower is much older than the church, the latter being rebuilt about 1330, by Sir Roger de Burgh, and his family, to whom here are many monumental memorials; but all their brasses, except two, are gone. The late rector, who held the living from 1795 till 1842, decorated the east window with stained glass, in 1805. At the east end of the chancel lie the effigies of Judge Reeve and his lady; the former died in 1647, and the latter in 1657.

The rectory, valued in the King's Book at 10, is in the gift of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, and incumbency of of the Rev. Fredk. Wm. Hill Jerrard. The glebe is about 40A., and the tithes were commuted in 1838 for 468 per annum.

The Independents and the Methodists have each a chapel in the parish; and Petty Sessions are held at the Swan Inn, every Tuesday. Mr. John. Hotson is clerk to the Magistrates.

The poor have two yearly rent-charges of 26s. each, one left by John Reeve, in 1687, out of the Swan Inn, and the other left by Eliz. Bayspool, out of land at Wacton. They have also a house and 3 roods of land, left by Nicholas Porter, in 1578.

The POST OFFICE, established in 1785, is at Mr. George Barnes', and letters are despatched to London, &c., at nine evening, and to Norwich at half-past four morning.

	 Aldis      James              schoolmaster and regr
	 Aldis      Mr. Geo.                          [See note below]
	 Aldis      Wm.                colt breaker   [See note below]
	 Barnes     George             baker & postmaster
	 Barton     Henry              surgeon
	 Beckwith   Wm. D.             surveyor of taxes
	 Brewster   James              gun maker
	 Bunn       Henry              blacksmith & ironmgr
	 Bunn       Abraham Henry      druggist
	 Burgess    Robert             saddler, &c
	 Burgess    Margt.             straw hat maker
	 Burroughes Rev. Ellis         Stratton Hs.
	 Calver     James              solicitor
	 Carver     Rev Charles
	 Coates     Wm.                hay dealer
	 Dix        Jane               dress maker
	 Godfrey    Robert             cooper
	 Gooch      Wm.                patten maker
	 Hooke      Wm.                confectioner, (servants'
                                         register office)
	 Hotson     John               solicitor, and Union clerk,
	                                 supt. registrar, &c
	 Jerrard    Col.and Rev F.W.H.
	 Mears      Wm.                hairdresser & glover
	 Osborne    James              saddler, &c
	 Peck       Edmund             hairdresser & inspector of
                                         weights and measures
	 Perfitt    Robert Stephen     auctioneer
	 Ringer     Thomas             miller and baker
	 Robertson  Wm.                miller
	 Smith      Wm.                baker
	 Utting     John               surgeon
	 Walpole    Jonas              saddler

	                    INNS AND TAVERNS.

	            Alborough Honor    Queen's Head
	            Baker     George   Angel (posting)
	            (empty)            Swan Inn

	    Beer Houses.                  Bricklayers.

	 Breeze     Thomas             Farrow     John
	 Everett    Samuel             Howell     George
	                               Perfitt    Jas. & Son (and masons)

	    Boot & ShoeMkrs.              Butchers.

	 Browne     Robert             Alborough  Chs.
	 Springall  Benj.              Fisher     Edward
	 Warnes     Charles            Goldspink  Waters
	                               Pottle     Wm.

	                 FARMERS (* are owners.)

	 Back       Wm. (Hall)         Hotson     Wales
	*Bassingthwaighte John        *Howes      John
	 Browne     George             Levell     Richard
	*Bunn       Wm.                Phillippo  Elisha
	*Fryer      Sus.               Tubby      John
	 Gilbert    Samuel

	    Grocers, &c.                  Plumbers, Glaziers,
	                                      & Painters.

	 Barnes     John               Baxter     Robert
	 Long       Wm.                Fisher     Edward
	 Starr      Henry              Reeve      Samuel
	 West       John Gill

	    Joiners, &c.                  Tailors.
	  (* are Wheelgts.)

	 Bales      James              Hammond    John
	*Cannell    Henry              Long       Richard
	 Field      Robert             Youngman   Wm.
	*Noble      Geo. (& gig maker)
COACHES & the Mail to Norwich & London, daily

CARRIER, Edw. Aldis to Norwich, Wed. & Saturday


Note: In the original this is:
Aldis Mr. Geo.||Wm. colt breaker

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

See also the Long Stratton parish page.

Copyright Pat Newby.
July 2001