[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
LODDON is a small but pleasant market-town, consisting chiefly of one long street, on the summit and acclivities of an eminence, rising from a rivulet, 10 miles S.E. of Norwich, 15 miles W.S.W. of Yarmouth, and 112 miles N.E. by N. of London.
It gives name to this Hundred, and has in its parish 1,197 inhabitants, and 2,988 acres of land, belonging to many proprietors, and lying in the MANORS, of which the following are the names and lords:-- Loddon Hall, G. D. Palmer, Esq.; Bacons and Hales Hall, the Earl of Rosebery; Kirby Hall with Sisland, (otherwise Charles') Lord Berners; and Ingloss, Jas. Cuddon, Esq., of Norwich. The last was formerly the property of the ancient family of Berney. The chief manor was granted by Roger Bigod, Earl of Norfolk, to John Segrave, on condition that he should serve him with six knights, as well in time of peace as war, for the term of his whole life. Segrave obtained for it a charter for a market and fair, in the 28th of Edward I.
The market is held every Tuesday, for corn; and fairs, for stock, &c., on Easter Monday, and the first Monday after Nov. 22nd. A Hiring Session is held at Old Michaelmas; and Petty Sessions, at the Swan Inn, as noticed at page 796 [which is the entry for Loddon Hundred].
The CHURCH (Holy Trinity,) is a large and handsome fabric, consisting of a nave, aisles, chancel, and square tower, with six bells, erected in the reign of Henry VII., by Sir James Hobart. It has several monuments, and a few brasses, to the Hobart, Sampson, and other families; and an excellent organ, given by Thomas Reynolds, schoolmaster, in 1821. The east window has recently been filled with beautiful stained glass, at the cost of £160. The font is in the florid Gothic style, and has been richly gilt and ornamented.
The Bishop of Ely is appropriator of the great tithes, and patron of the vicarage, (not in charge) now enjoyed by the Rev. John Dawson Wrigglesworth, of Cambridge. The tithes were commuted in 1841; the vicarial for £300, and the rectorial for £520 per ann. The Revs. J. H. and E. B. Sparke, are lessees of the latter.
The Town Estate, which has been vested in trust from an early period, comprises the Guildhall (a cottage,) and a farm of about 80A., let for £123, applied in the service of the church, except about £8 in distributions of coals.
In the town is a private Lunatic Asylum, established in 1786, and now conducted by Rt. Pedgrift, surgeon.
The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here; and in the town is a National School, supported by subscription. The POST OFFICE is at Mr. Fras. Alexander's. Letters arrive at 9, morning; and are despatched at ½ past 4, afternoon.
Adams Joseph Read chief constable Baker William baker Blanchflower Timothy chemist and druggist Coleman Blanchflower John gentleman Bringloe Robt. painter, plumber, &c. Browne Martin solicitor Cable James Benj. hair dresser Chapman John corn & coal dealer Cleveland Alfred farrier Cole Mrs. Ann gentlewoman Cook Rev. John E. (Wesleyan Min.) Copeman James solicitor, and Union and magistrates' clerk Clarke Samuel John tailor Clarke Mr. Saml. Forder Robt. plumber, painter, &c. Goddard Mrs. Eliz. Goff John auctioneer, seed & spirit Massingham mercht., painter, &c. Hoddy William attorney's clerk, and registrar of marriages Hunting Danl. veterinary surgeon Herring Rev. Henry curate Jay Robert bookbinder Jollye Wm. Geo. gentleman, Grove Jones Wm. Gerard land surveyor Lamb Wm. butcher [see note below] Lamb Mr. Fdk. [see note below] Lamb Mrs. M. [see note below] Lane Edward tailor and draper Morris Robert bricklayer Myhill George glover, &c. Palmer Mrs. My. Vincent Mr. Geo. Ward Robert builder, & parish clerk Wright Samuel millwright BANKERS. Harveys and Hudsons, Fras. Alexander, agent. (& Norwich, &c.) INNS AND TAVERNS. Angel James Legood Crown Charles Fairhead Fox & Hounds Henry Bristow Jolly Farmers Samuel Kerrison King's Head James Fairhead Swan Inn, Chas. Capon (posting) FIRE OFFICES. Farmers' & Hailstorm M. Browne Norwich Equitable John Baley Norwich Union Fras. Alexander Blacksmiths. Comby William Riches Daniel Stratford William Corn Millers. Burton William Riches John FARMERS. Beard Phillip Blunderfield Fras. Foulsham Wm. Gunton John Hayward Nelson Hotson Daniel Parkerson Crtr. J. Riches William Spence John Spence Matthew Thurtell James Watson Varbell William Wigg F. Grocer & Drprs. Alexander Fras. (merchant and stamp seller) Harrod Sarah Leman John Wheelhouse Jph. Saddlers. Curtis Richard Leman William Ward Charles Schools. Hart David Lamb Charlotte & Amy Shoemakers. Baker John Coker Wm. (leather cutter) Goate Edward Plow John Plow Richard Snelling Gordon Shopkeepers. Finney Elizabeth King Rebecca Surgeons. Dowling John Pedgrift Robert Scrimshire Geo. Watch, &c. Mkrs. Crake John Merrison James Appleton
COACHES, daily, to Norwich, Beccles, Lowestoft, &c., &c.
Carriers to Norwich, Bungay, & Yarmouth.
Note: In the original this is:
Lamb Wm. butcher, & Mr. Fdk. & Mrs. M.
See also the Loddon parish page.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.