The Rev. Theodore H.C. Day is impropriator of the great tithes, and patron of the vicarage, which is valued in the King's Book at £6 13s., and now annexed to the rectory of Southwood.
The CHURCH (St. Botolph) was rebuilt in 1881 and 1882, with the exception of the base of the tower, at a cost of £2100, the vicar, R. Neville's executors, A.J. Day. Esq., Mrs. Bullard, and the Rev. J. Emeris, subscribing the greater part. The tower was rebuilt at a cost of £320. The porch is particularly handsome, and the font is Norman workmanship. In 1852 three curious paintings were discovered on the north wall of the old church, representing the martyrdom of St. Catherine, who suffered in Alexandria under the Emperor Maximinus II. early in the 4th century.
The rectory house is situate in this parish, and is a good residence, which was purchased and altered in 1852 at a cost of £1000. Here are 10A. 2R. of glebe, and the poor have half an acre let for £1.
The NATIONAL SCHOOL was erected in 1850 at a cost of £150, and is attended by about 45 children.
The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel here, built in 1877.
POST from Yarmouth, via Reedham. Wall Letter Box cleared at 4.45 p.m. Nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office at Reedham, and Cantley is the nearest Railway Station.
Boswell Miss Mary schoolmistress Bullard Mrs Sophia farmer Carter William farmer Day Rev. Theodore The Rectory H.C., B.A. Hall Wm. Fowler parish clerk & frmr Hanton Isaac shoemaker Mallett John shopkeeper Mallett William farmer Peart Thos. farmer and coal dealer Sales William blacksmith and victualler, The Falcon Smith John shopkeeper Ward Charles farmer Waters Robert farmer
See also the Limpenhoe parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.