Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Leziate

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

LEZIATE is a small parish, on the turnpike, 4 miles E. of Lynn, in Freebridge Lynn union and hundred and petty sessional division, Lynn county court district, and Lynn bankruptcy district, Lynn polling district of West Norfolk, Lynn (Marshland) [sic] rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It contains a few scattered houses, 205 inhabitants, living in 47 houses, and 1469 acres of sandy land, including a warren, and a common of 104 acres. The soil has been much improved during the last fifty years. A great part of it is in Lord Romney's manor of West Hall; but A. Hammond, Esq., has about 200 acres, and the trustees of the late Mr. E. Howes own Holt House, with 500 acres, distant nearly 2 miles south of Leziate, in the vale, opposite Middleton Tower. John Groom, Esq., Ashwicken, has an estate in this parish.

Of the CHURCH of Leziate nothing remains but the foundation, the benefice having been long consolidated with Ashwicken (see page 125 [which is the entry for Ashwicken]). The tithes of Leziate were commuted in 1839 for £280 10s. 5d. per annum.

Mr. Howes, who died in 1859, left £200 in trust with the rector of Ashwicken, the interest to be applied towards the education of poor children at Leziate.

POST from King's Lynn, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.

	Bentley   Algernon Rhodes   brewer, &c. (E. Eyre & Co.)
	                              Holt House, King's Lynn
	Greaves   Richard           farm bailiff
	Pelgrave  George            farmer
	Richards  William           farmer
	Rolfe     William Chilvers  farmer
	Royce     William Henry     brickmaker & farmer; h King's Lynn
	Rye       Robert            beerhouse

See also the Leziate parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
December 2008