LEXHAM (WEST), 3 miles W. of Litcham, is a parish belonging to the Earl of Leicester and the Rev. W.A.W. Keppel, the lords of the manors. It is in Mitford union, Swaffham county court district, Launditch petty sessional division, King's Lynn bankruptcy district, Launditch hundred, Massingham polling district of West Norfolk, Brisley rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 134 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1155 acres, and has a rateable value of £956.
The CHURCH (St. Nicholas), a small structure, with round tower containing one bell. It formerly had a south aisle. Some fragments of a very old stained glass were dug up on the north side of the church in 1861. The chancel has a handsome open timber roof, and contains a piscina, now being restored by the Earl of Leicester.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5 11s. 8d., is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Francis Fenwick Reavely, B.A., who has here 58 acres of glebe, a commodious residence built in 1851, and a yearly tithe rent-charge of £188.
The poor have a wood of 5 acres of oak stubs for fuel, and also £1 12s. yearly from Allee's charity.
LETTERS through Swaffham via Litcham. Litcham is the nearest Money Order Office.
Cresswell Edward jobbing gardener and victualler, Red Lion Harrison Harris farmer Head William sexton Reavely Rev. Francis Fenwick, B.A. rector, Rectory
Copyright © Pat Newby.