LEXHAM (WEST), 3 miles W. of Litcham, is a parish with only 154 inhabitants, and 1155 acres of land, belonging to the Earl of Leicester and the Rev. W.A.W. Keppel, the lords of the manors.
The Church (St. Nicholas) is a small structure, consisting of nave, south porch, chancel, and round tower with one bell. It formerly had a south aisle. Some fragments of very old stained glass were dug up on the north side of the church in 1861. The interior of the building has been much improved by the present rector. The chancel has a handsome open timber roof, and contains a piscina.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5. 11s. 8d., is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Nathaniel Davies, M.A., prebendary of St. David's, who has here 58A. of glebe, a commodious residence built in 1851, and a yearly tithe rent-charge of £188.
The poor have a wood of 5A. of oak stubs for fuel, and also £1. 12s. yearly from Allee's charity.
The chief residents are -
The Rector Leeds Robt. farmer Bailey Thos. vict., Red Lion Coe John parish clerkPOST from Brandon, via Swaffham.
Copyright © Pat Newby.