Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: West Lexham

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

LEXHAM, (WEST) 3 miles W. of Litcham, is a parish, with only 124 souls, and 1,126 acres of land, belonging to the Earl of Leicester.

The Church (St. Nicholas,) is a small antique fabric, and the living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5. 11s. 8d., and in 1831, at £156. The glebe is 58A. Lord Wodehouse is patron, and the Hon. and Rev. A. Wodehouse, incumbent. The latter is also rector of Litcham and East Lexham.

The Poor's Wood is nearly 5A. of oak stubs, which are cut yearly for fuel. The poor have £2 yearly, from Allee's charity.

The inhabitants are all cottagers, except Geo. Mays, vict., Red Lion; and Sarah Ann Garwood, farmer.


See also the West Lexham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
September 2003