LEXHAM (EAST), 2 miles W. of Litcham, is a parish in Mitford union and Swaffham county court district, Lynn bankruptcy district, Launditch hundred, Mitford and Launditch petty sessional division, Litcham polling district of West Norfolk, Brisley rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 220 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1190 acres, and had a rateable value of £1547.
Nearly all the soil is the property of the Rev. W. Arnold Walpole Keppel, B.A., lord of the manor, who resides at the Hall, a mansion pleasantly seated in a small park, within a mile of Litcham. In the month of June the rhododendrons are here to be seen in luxuriant profusion. The small river Nar, which takes its rise about three miles from Litcham, runs through the park, is so diverted as to afford good skating in winter, and abounds in fish and wild fowl. The gardens and walks extend over 16 acres, and the adjoining woods are well stocked with pheasants.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew) is a small structure, comprising nave, chancel, south porch, and round ivy-mantled tower with one bell. It has a neat open timber roof, and contains a piscina and several tablets of the Keppel family. One of the windows was filled with stained glass by Mrs. Keppel in 1861, in memory of her husband and his brother. The church has been reseated with open seats of red pine; it will hold about 100 persons.
The discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8 6s., is annexed to that of Litcham. The tithes arising from lands in Lexham and Great Dunham are commuted at £214.
The Poor's Allotments, awarded in 1797, comprise 26 acres, let for £26; and 2 acres, on which the poor turn geese and cattle. In 1629 William Allee charged lands, now belonging to the lord of the manor, with the yearly payments of 40s. to each of the parishes of East and West Lexham, Great Dunham, Beeston-juxta-Mileham, Litcham, and Castleacre; and 20s. to Newton-by-Castleacre, for the poor.
Here is a small NATIONAL SCHOOL, built by the late F.W. Keppel, Esq., and supported by the lord of the manor.
LETTERS via Swaffham (through Litcham). Litcham is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office. Pillar Letter Box in School cleared at 5.35 p.m. daily, except Sundays.
Bailey Walter John farmer, The Lodge farm Burton Edward shoemaker Clarke Thomas farmer Connard B. vict. Chequers Goddard George head gardener, Lexham hall Handley Miss M.J. Natl. schlmistress Keppel Rev. William Arnold Walpole, B.A.,J.P. Lexham hall Oldfield Mrs Ann Oldfield John shopkeeper, parish clerk, and parish constable Preston James gamekeeper Stebbings Thomas farmer Whiskard Miss Susannah shopkeeper
Copyright © Pat Newby.