LETTON is a parish of dispersed houses, 1¼ miles E.S.E. of Shipdham, and 6 miles S. of East Dereham, containing 154 inhabitants, and 1,263 acres of rich land, famous for milk and butter as early as the reign of Elizabeth, and all belonging to Theophilus Thornaugh Gurdon, Esq., who resides at the HALL, a handsome quadrangular mansion of white brick, seated in an extensive and well wooded park. He is patron of the rectory, which is valued in the King's Book at £7.14s.7d., and was consolidated with Cranworth in the 38th of Henry VIII. The Rev. Philip Gurdon is the incumbent.
The CHURCH (All Saints,) was dilapidated many years ago, and its site is now marked by a plantation, on the south side of the park.
The Fuel Allotment awarded in 1798, is 7A.1R.24P.
Gurdon T.T. and Brampton, Esqrs. Hall farmers. Goddard James Hook John Stebbing Edward and Filby
Copyright © Pat Newby.