LETHERINGSETT, picturesquely seated in the well-wooded valley of the Glaven, 1½ mile W. of Holt, is a parish in Erpingham union, Holt county court district, hundred, and petty sessional division, Holt polling district of North Norfolk, Norwich bankruptcy district, Holt rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 280 inhabitants in 1881, living on 842 acres. The rateable value is £1717, and the gross estimated rental £1950.
W.H. Cozens-Hardy, Esq., J.P., owns most of the soil and resides at the Hall, a handsome mansion of white brick and flint, with a Grecian portico, and beautiful gardens and plantations. His large brewery and malthouse are buildings near the river, over which a bridge was built by subscription, in 1818. The hall was erected and the grounds planted and laid out by the late W. Hardy, Esq.
The other chief landowners are Mrs. Watson and the trustees of the late Mr. Peter E. Wrench.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew) comprises nave with aisles and clerestory, south porch, chancel, and round tower with three bells; and it is said to have been built soon after the Norman Conquest of England. It contains several tablets of the Hardy and Jodrell families.
The church was restored in 1876 at a cost of £1200, when a stained glass window was placed at the east end by Mrs. Jodrell, of Bayfield Hall, in memory of Major Jodrell. The pulpit was given by the late Edward Jodrell, Esq., and the seats in the body of the church by Sir Alfred Jodrell, Bart. The chancel was restored at the cost of the rector. The Registers date from 1653. There is an old Norman font of Purbeck marble.
The discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £12, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. John Marshall Webb, M.A., who has a good residence, 27 acres of glebe, and a yearly tithe rent-charge of £253, awarded in 1838
This parish was united with Holt district School Board in December 1877, and the children attend that Board school. Mr. James Simmons is clerk to the Board.
POST OFFICE at Mrs. R.A. Sheringham's. Letters from East Dereham, viâ Holt, arrive at 7.15 a.m. and despatched at 4.45 p.m. Holt is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Cozens-Hardy brewers and maltsters & Son Cozens-Hardy Wm. Hardy, Esq. J.P. the Hall Filby John Wm. farmer, Old hall Girling William millers' foreman Gosling Jonas blacksmith & farmer Grout Samuel farm steward to Sir Alfred Jodrell Hewitt Edward shoemaker Hewitt Geo. joiner, wheelwright, and builder Howes Henry Fountain miller Howes Wm. corn miller & merchant, and farmer, Mill house Purdy Mrs. Mary Melbourne Thomas parish clerk Sheringham Henry frmr.; h Thornage hall Sheringham Mrs Rosamond Anna grocer and postmistress Simmons Jas. brewer's clk. assessor & coll. of taxes, agt. for the Royal Exchange Assurance Co. & clk. to the Holt & Letheringsett, also the Briningham United Dist. School Bds Stimpson William farmer and owner Turner Robert blacksmith Waldy Mrs Georgiana The Lodge Watson Mrs Martha Webb Rev. John Marshall, M.A. rector, Rectory Williams John shoemaker and vict. King's Head Inn
Copyright © Pat Newby.