LETHERINGSETT, picturesquely seated in the well-wooded valley of the Glaven, 1½ mile W. of [Holt], has in its parish 273 souls, and 844A. of land, belonging to several owners, the largest of whom is W.H.C. Hardy, Esq., who resides at the Hall, a handsome mansion with a Grecian portico, and beautiful gardens and plantations. His large brewery and malthouse are ornamental buildings, near the river, where a bridge was built by subscription, in 1818. The hall was erected and the grounds planted and laid out by the late W. Hardy, Esq.
The Church (St. Andrew,) has a round tower and three bells, and was built soon after the Conquest, by the Earl of Buckingham. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £12, and now having 27A. of glebe, a good residence, and a yearly rent of £253, awarded in 1839, in lieu of tithes. The Rev. Charles Codd, B.A., is patron and incumbent.
The poor have 3s. a year from the site of a cottage.
Burrell Mr. J.W. Cabon James wheelwright Codd Rev. Chas., B.A. Rectory Denness Mr. Martin Hardy Wm. Hardy Cozens, Esq. brewer and maltster, Hall Hardy Mrs. Mary Gates Thos. clerk Jeckell Fras. shoemaker Jex Johnson blacksmith and watchmaker Prike Jas. shopkeeper and shoemaker Scrimshaw Miss Ann Tinker James carpenter Webb James M., Esq. solicitor, (office Holt) White Samuel vict., King's Head farmers. Cabon Thomas (owner) Claxton Wm. Watson Wm. R. (owner) Stimson Geo.
Copyright © Pat Newby.