LESSINGHAM, 8 miles E. by S. of North Walsham, and 3½ miles N.N.E. of Stalham, has in its parish 241 souls and 640A. of land, mostly belonging to Mr B. Cubitt, but the manor is held by King's College, Cambridge.
The Church (All Saints,) is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6, and consolidated with Hempstead. The glebe here is 21A.1R.16P., and the tithes were commuted in 1841 for £240 per ann. Here was a Priory, subject to Bec abbey in Normandy, but it was suppressed in the reign of Henry VI.
The Poor's Allotment, 3A.32P., was awarded at the enclosure. In 1727, the Rev. Jonathan Chaloner left to this parish the yearly sums of £4 for schooling three children, and £4.6s. for the poor, who have also £1.7s.8d. per annum, left by John Ringer, Oliver Hartstrong, and Thos. Smith.
Bird Robert gardener Buffham Thomas wheelwright Clements Thomas blacksmith Clements Benjamin shoemaker Drake Charles blacksmith Harris Thomas tailor Hewitt Rev. Jno. curate of Walcot Nurse Robert saddler Payne Benjamin vict., Star Postle Wm. tailor Waterson Geo. tailor and hatter Waterson Mrs Sarah Wilkin Robert bricklayer Woodrow Charles grocer & draper FARMERS. Frarey Robert (owner) Hewitt Aaron Hewitt Charles Nurse Edmund Watts ThomasCARRIER, Edm. Press to Yarmouth.
See also the Lessingham parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.