LARLING, or Lerling, a parish of scattered houses, near the confluence of two rivulets, 2 miles N.N.W. of East Harling, 1 mile N. from Harling Road Station, is in Wayland union, Attleborough county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Shropham hundred, Guiltcross and Shropham petty sessional division, Harling polling district of South Norfolk, Rockland rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 180 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1548 acres, and has a rateable value of £1539. Nearly all the parish is the property of Sir George E. Nugent, Bart., or Hon. Lady Nugent.
The CHURCH (St. Ethelbert), formerly a thatched edifice comprising nave, south aisle, porch, chancel, and square tower with three bells. It still contains two sedilias and three piscinas. The south doorway is a fine specimen of Norman architecture, and the steps which formerly led to the rood loft still remain. The church was thoroughly restored in 1867, the chancel at the expense of the rector. Sir G.E. Nugent, Bart., is patron of the rectory, which was valued in the King's Book at £10, and is in the incumbency of the Rev. Henry Thornton Pearse, M.A., who has about 41 acres of glebe, a good residence, built about 34 years ago, and a yearly tithe rent-charge of £217.
About a mile south of the Church is Larling Ford, on the river Thet, and the Norwich and Thetford turnpike. The Fuel Allotment, awarded at the enclosure, is 31A. 24P., which is now let for £17, and £5 for right of shooting, which is distributed in coals.
This parish is united with Bridgham and Roudham for school purposes (see Bridgham). A SCHOOL to accommodate 50 children was opened in May 1879, with residence for mistress attached. There are 50 names on the books, and the average attendance is 36.
Here is a Wesleyan chapel.
POST OFFICE at Mr. Chas. Doe's. Letters, per mail cart, from Thetford arrive at 4.20 a.m., and are despatched at 8.15 p.m. Messengers for Snetterton, Shropham, and Hockham, sent out at 6 a.m., returning at 8 p.m., and for Illington and East and West Wretham at 6 a.m., returning at 7.40 p.m. East Harling is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Barrett John farmer Dent Joseph farmer, Fen farm Doe Charles shoemaker and sub-postmaster, Post Office, Larling ford Edwards Robert farmer Hopwood Miss Bertha schoolmistress Kidd Samuel parish clerk and sexton Lock John farmer, Larling ford Pearse Rev. Henry Thornton, M.A. Rectory Self John vict. The Angel, Larling ford, and farmer Smith Shadrach farmer Stebbing Wm. Hy. farmer, Manor hs
Copyright © Pat Newby.