LARLING, or Lerling, a parish of scattered houses, near the confluence of two rivulets, 2 miles N.N.W. of East Harling, contains 205 inhabitants, and 1506A. of fertile land, nearly all the property of Lord Colborne, the patron of the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10, and in 1831, at £174. It is now enjoyed by the Rev. Charles John Ridley, together with West Harling. The Church (St. Ethelbert,) has a square tower and three bells.
About a mile south of the church, is LARLING-FORD, on the River Thet and the Norwich and Thetford turnpike, where there is a large Inn, which has a Post Office, and also Petty Sessions in every alternate year, as noticed at page 410 [which is the entry for Shropham Hundred]. The Norwich and Brandon Railway passes within half a mile south of the turnpike.
The Fuel Allotment, awarded at the enclosure, is 31A. 24P., on which the poor cut turf. The old Poor's Land is 3A. 2R. 20P., on which is a cottage.
Eyre Rev. Edward, M.A. curate Watson Daniel vict., Angel, Larlingford Bye J. grocer farmers Amys Robt. Barker Mrs. Gates W. Lock Jno. Wells Geo.
Copyright © Pat Newby.