LANGFORD parish, 8 miles S. of Swaffham, 8 miles S.W. from Watton, and 8 miles N.E. from Brandon, is in Swaffham union, South Greenhoe hundred, Grimshoe petty sessional division, Swaffham county court district, Lynn bankruptcy district, Watton polling district of West Norfolk, South Cranwich rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. The soil belongs to W.A.T. Amherst, Esq., M.P.
Langford CHURCH (St. Andrew) has a nave, south porch, and chancel. It contains a piscina, a tablet to General Sir James Pulteney, Bart, and a marble monument in memory of Sir Jacob Garrard, who was lord of the manor, and was created a baronet in 1662.
W.A.T. Amherst, Esq., is patron of the rectory, which is valued in the King's Book at £4.15s.9d., and consolidated with that of Ickburgh. The tithes of the two parishes were commuted in 1840 for £248 per annum, and the Rev. Henry Chichele Hart, B.A., of Ickburgh, is the incumbent.
POST. Letters through Mundford Railway Sub-Office.
Giles Henry farm bailiff to W. Amhurst Tyssen Amherst, Esq., M.P.
Copyright © Pat Newby.