LAMMAS, a pleasant village on the east bank of the Bure, 4 miles S.E. of Aylsham, has in its parish 257 souls, and about 500 acres of land, exclusive of Little Hautboys, which is united with it. They contain together 299 souls, and 829 acres.
Lammas is mostly the property of Sir John Lubbock and the Rev. W.H. Marsh, sen., the latter of whom is lord of the manor, and patron of the consolidated rectories of Lammas and Little Hautboys, valued in the King's Book at £7, and enjoyed by the Rev. W.H. Marsh, jun., of Erpingham. The glebe is 36A., and the tithes were commuted in 1840 for £240 per annum.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew,) has a low embattled tower, with four bells. Near the west end of the village is an ancient Quakers' Meeting House, with a small burial ground. The Church Land is one acre.
Barton Wm. yeoman Blake Wm. farmer Blake Rev. Wm. Jex incumbent of Great Hautboys Blake Rev. Charles, B.A. Bransby Ransome gent Collins Benjamin beerhouse Daniels James coal merchant Fransham Daniel farmer & owner Goodwin Anthony beerhouse Goodwin Stephen wheelwright, blacksmith, and farmer Kerrison James coal merchant Lambert Robert shoemaker Marsh Rev Wm. Heath, sen. B.A. Rectory Rayner George Wm. painter, glazier, and shopkeeper Repton Mrs Elizabeth Reynolds Thomas gentleman
Copyright © Pat Newby.