[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
This information about Lakenham has been extracted from the Norwich section of the directory.
Page 153: This is part of the Hamlets of Norwich:
LAKENHAM includes a populous modern suburb of the city, and extends from St. Stephen's and Ber street gates, nearly two miles southward to Harford Bridges, on the river Yare, so called from the family who built them in the reign of King John. The road leading to these bridges was formerly very steep, but the descent was much reduced by cutting through the hill in 1804. Mrs. Southwell owns a great part of the parish.
Pages 118 and 119: This is part of the History of Norwich:
LAKENHAM CHURCH, about 1½ mile S. of the Market place, stands on an abrupt acclivity above the river Yare, and is a small structure, dedicated to St. John the Baptist and All Saints. It has a tower, with three bells. The benefice is a vicarage, united to Trowse-Newton, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter, and now enjoyed by the Rev. George Carter, M.A.
Three District Churches, or Chapels of Ease, have recently been provided, for the better accommodation of the greatly increased population of the three parishes of St. Clement, Heigham, and Lakenham, the two latter of which are commonly called hamlets. ST. MARK'S CHURCH, in LAKENHAM, was consecrated Sept. 24th, 1844, and is a commodious and handsome structure, in the pointed style, consisting of a spacious nave, (without aisles,) and an embattled tower, with turrets, pinnacles, and three bells. Lakenham having increased its population from 428 souls, in 1801, to 4006, in 1841, the want of this new church had long been felt.
It has about 1000 sittings, most of which are free, and was finished at the cost of more than £4000, all raised by subscription, except £500 given by the Incorporated Society for Building and Enlarging Churches. It is situated in the now populous suburb called New Lakenham, in a burial ground of 2 acres. The interior has commodious galleries, and is neatly pewed and fitted up. All the wood work has been subjected to the process of the "permanent stain," in imitation of old oak. The font, communion plate, table, &c., were presented by several ladies, and the books for divine service by the Dean. It is proposed to raise an endowment for the minister, by subscription, and £313. 10s. was given for that purpose before the completion of the fabric. The Vicar of Lakenham is the patron, and the Rev. Thos. J. Ormerod is the first incumbent.
Page 52: This is part of the Population of Norwich:
|CITY OF NORWICH
|POPULATION IN A.D.|
See also the Lakenham parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.