KNAPTON, a village on a lofty eminence, 3 miles N.N.E. of North Walsham, has in its parish 348 inhabitants, and 1461A. of rich arable land, lying in three manors, viz., Knapton-Bromholme and Green, belonging to St. Peter's College, Cambridge, and Knapton-Cecils, belonging to Lord Suffield; but the greater part of the soil is owned by other proprietors, - among whom are Mrs. S. Shirley, of the New Hall; H. Robinson, Esq., of Knapton Grove; and several resident yeomen.
The CHURCH (St. Peter and St. Paul,) has a nave and chancel, with a tower at the west end. The roof is of Irish oak, richly ornamented with carvings of saints and angels.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £13. 7s. 1d., is now enjoyed by the Rev. John Colman. The tithes were commuted in 1839, for £475 per annum, besides £6 to the rector of Mundesley. Lord Suffield, and the Master of Peter House College, Cambridge, are the patrons alternately. The college belongs to Knapton Hall, now held on lease by the Rev. Stephen Cook. The rent of one rood of land is carried to the poor rates.
Mrs. Shirley supports a school here.
Aldis Wm. policeman Cook Rev. Stephen, M.A. vicar of Oulton, Knapton Hall Cornish Miss Eliz. Farrow Thomas gardener Hall Peter blacksmith Miles Mrs H. Plumbly James gent Robinson Henry, Esq. (Queen's standard bearer) Shirley Mrs S. New Hall Squire John shopkeeper Sturr Thomas joiner, &c. FARMERS. (* are Owners) *Allison Thomas *Collings John *Burton J. Ducker James Claxton Rice Foreman John Cook John Fletcher John *Cooper John F. Mullen William *Coleman Abm. Sturgman Jontn. Schools. Coble Lydia Doughty Esther Shoemakers. Shopkeepers. Chaplin Thomas Squire John Holmes Miles Watts Robert Long David
See also the Knapton parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.