[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
KIRSTEAD, 7 miles S.S.E. of Norwich, has in its parish 249 souls, and 1,009 acres of land. G. S. Kett, Esq., is lord of the manor, and owner of a great part of the soil. The rest belongs to Chas. Kerrison, Esq., of Hill House; Bethel Hospital, in Norwich; Mr. Rt. B. Whall; and a few smaller owners.
The CHURCH (St. Margaret,) is a rectory, valued in K.B. at £10, and in 1831 at £334, in the gift of Emanuel College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. John Lewis.
Here was anciently a church (St. Stephen,) and rectory, called Langhall, and the parish is sometimes called Kirstead with-Langhall. The poor have 20s. a year left by Thos. Spooner, in 1630, out of land now belonging to G. S. Kett, Esq.
Andrews Michael farm steward, Hall Bellman Rev. Edmund curate Butcher Jas. miller Freeman Wm. vict., Green Man Kerrison Chas. Esq. Hill House Whall Robt. B. gent. farmers Butcher Jas. sen. Harvey Wm. Martin Wm. (Pevers) Reeder Wm.
See also the Kirstead parish page.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.