KIRBY-CANE is a parish of scattered houses, mostly occupying a high situation above the broad vale of the Waveney, about 4 miles S. of Loddon and N. of Bungay. It is in Loddon union, Clavering hundred, Loddon and Clavering petty sessional division, Beccles county court district, Yarmouth bankruptcy district, Loddon polling district of South Norfolk, East Brooke rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 420 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1476 acres, and has a rateable value of £2440 5s., and a gross rental of £2687 15s.
The parish is mostly in the manor of Stockton-with-the-Soke, of which Bazett Haggard, Esq., is lord; but Mrs. Rogerson has a small estate here. The Hall is a large white brick mansion, in a small park, and is occupied by the lord of the manor.
The CHURCH (All Saints) was restored in 1857, at the expense of the rector, and consists of nave, chancel, north aisle, vestry, south porch, and round tower with five bells. The east window has been filled with stained glass at the expense of the late Lord Berners. The roof was restored in 1882.
Here are tablets in memory of Lord and Lady Berners and Elizabeth Catelyne; also a very interesting tomb to the memory of Richard Catelyne, once a Lord Chief Justice of England; a brass to the Rev. John Watson, a former rector; and a tablet recording that the vestry was built in 1753, by Sir Charles Turner, Bart., 'out of a pious and pure regard for the memory of his second wife.' In the chancel is an old altar tomb. The south doorway is a good specimen of Norman architecture.
His lordship is also patron of the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10. The glebe is 41 acres, and the tithes have been commuted for £436 10s. per annum. The Rev. Abbot Upcher, B.A., is the rector, and has a good residence built in 1790.
The PAROCHIAL SCHOOL, built in 1861 by the late Lord Berners, is attended by about 70 children.
The Wesleyans have a chapel here.
Some workmen who many years ago were digging in a field called 'Pewter Hill,' in this parish, came upon a confused mass of human bones, among which were several spear heads, a jewelled buckle, and two swords, apparently of Roman workmanship. Many fragments of Roman pottery have at different times been found at the same place, and a kind of oven or kiln of Roman tiles was also discovered, leading to the inference that a potter's kiln existed there, and that the present name of the hill is a corruption of 'Potter's Hill.'
In 1786 an estate of 42A. 2R. 28P., called Partable Lands, was appropriated for the benefit of the poor of the parishes of Kirby-Cane and Ellingham, pursuant to the will of Henry Bonfellow, dated 1650. The net income was divided equally between the two parishes. The moiety belonging to Kirby-Cane was distributed in bread and coal, with the proceeds of the following charities: viz. £18 10s. from land left by Thomas Potts in 1646; and £4 6s. 6d., from an allotment of 5A. awarded to the poor at the enclosure. These charities are now in the hands of the Charity Commissioners.
POST OFFICE at Joseph Youell's. Letters, viâ Bungay, arrive at 8.15 a.m., and depart 4 p.m.
Baker George shoemaker Benns Philip farmer and assessor of taxes, Leet hill farm Beverley Miss Mary Bradnum Robert market gardener Clare Edward grocer, draper, blacksmith, wheelwright, assist. overseer, rate collector, and parish constable Clutton Charles farmer Cross George farmer, Litchmere lane; h Postwick hall Doe John farmer, Home farm Doe John, jun. farmer, Row farm Eggett John blacksmith England Mrs Margaret schoolmistress Fisher Mrs Eliza shopkeeper Haggard Bazett, Esq. barrister-at-law, The Hall, and 2 Paper Buildings, Temple, E.C.; and 11 Sussex Gardens, Hyde Park, London, W. Ives Henry thatcher Lambert John farm bailiff Manning Simon coal dealer and victualler, Swan Inn Manning Thomas shoemaker Morris James farmer and threshing machine owner, overseer and surveyor, Green farm Pilgrim Robt. farmer, Sheepwalk farm Pitcher Wm. mkt. grdnr. & pork butcher Stannard George market gardener Upcher Rev. Abbott, B.A. rector, Rectory Wilson George cowkeeper Youell Joseph parish clrk. & pstmstr
Copyright © Pat Newby.