KIRBY-CANE is a parish of scattered houses, mostly occupying a high situation above the broad vale of the Wensum, about 4 miles S. of Loddon. It contains 458 souls, and 1467 acres of land, mostly in the manor of Stockton-with-the-Soke.
The Rt. Hon. and Rev. Henry Lord Berners owns a great part of the soil, and resides at the Hall, a neat white mansion, with a small park. (See page 375 [which is the entry for Didlington].) He is also patron and incumbent of the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10, and in 1831, at £390 per annum. The glebe is 41A., and the tithes have been commuted for £425 per annum. The Church (All Saints,) is an ancient fabric, with a round tower.
Since 1786, an estate of 42A. 2R. 28P., called Partable Lands, has been held for the benefit of the poor of the parishes of Kirby-Cane and Ellingham, pursuant to the will of HENRY BONFELLOW, dated 1650. It is let for £58. 9s. per annum, out of which about £2 is paid for expenses, 20s. for catechising children; and the residue is divided equally between the two parishes. The moiety belonging to Kirby-Cane (about £27,) is distributed in bread and coals, with the proceeds of the following charities, viz., £18. 10s., from land left by Thos. Potts, in 1646, and £4. 6s. 6d. from an allotment of 5A., awarded to the poor at the enclosure.
Here is a National School, attended by about 30 children, and chiefly supported by Lord Berners.
BERNERS Right Hon and Rev LORD rector, Kirby Cane Hall Goffin Samuel grocer, &c Ingate Wm. blacksmith Olly Davy wheelwright Roberts John butcher Snowlin Edward vict. Swan Upcher Rev Abbott, B.A. curate, Rectory FARMERS. (* are Owners.) Barwick James Barwick Wm. Doe John Edwards Onesms [sic] * Oldring Edw. * Pleasance Rt. * Sparkes Benj. Shoemakers. Fisk James Woor Robert Woor Wm.
Copyright © Pat Newby.