KIRBY-BEDON, a village on an acclivity overlooking the vale of the Wensum, 3 miles S.E. of Norwich, has in its parish 265 souls, and 1362A. of land. H.J. Stracey, Esq., is lord of the manor and owner of a great part of the soil, and the rest belongs to Miss Woolsey, the Rev. W. Millett, and several smaller proprietors. The Hall, which was the seat of Sir Hanson Berney, Bart, was taken down a few years ago.
The parish was formerly divided between two Churches, but that dedicated to St. Mary has been in ruins several centuries, though much of its walls and most of its circular tower still remain, finely clad with ivy. St. Andrew's is a small church, with the base of a round tower, surmounted by a wooden belfry. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6. 4s. 9½d., and now having £250 per annum, awarded in 1842, in lieu of tithes. Henry Muskett, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. E. Day incumbent.
Bird Michael wheelwright Day Rev. Edward Rectory Florence Wm. beerhouse and shopkeeper Osborn Richard blacksmith Stacey Wm. joiner Tilney Robt. shoemaker farmers. Woolsey Miss [see note below] Woolsey Jeremiah (owner) [see note below] Bond Richd. Harvey Wm. Lodge Isaac
Copyright © Pat Newby.