Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Kilverstone

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1864

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

KILVERSTONE, in the vale of the Thet river, 1¼ mile E. of Thetford, is a parish, with 39 inhabitants, and 2026 acres of sandy land, the property of Capt. John Davy, R.N., of Ingoldisthorpe, whose son, John Wm. Davy, Esq., resides at the Hall, a neat mansion of flint, in a pleasant park, extending down to the river.

The Church is a small edifice comprising nave, chancel, and low round tower. It has a fine Norman doorway, and contains several mural tablets of the Wright family, formerly resident here. The east window is filled with richly painted glass.

The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7. 14s. 9d., is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. John Moore, M.A., of Thetford, who has 26A. of glebe, and a yearly rent-charge of £140 in lieu of tithes.

The chief residents are -

	Davy    John Wm., Esq.  Hall
	Limmer  D.W.            farmer, Hall Farm
	Howes   Geo.            parish clerk
	Whale   John            toll collector

POST from Thetford.


See also the Kilverstone parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
March 2009