The National Archives (was PRO) ref is HO/107/781/12
and it was taken on the night of June 6th.
[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
The following surnames are contained in the document. The numbers
following each are the Page number (16 and 17) in Folios 2 and 3
[the census is contained entirely in two Folios]
which contain one or more occurences of the name.
Howes (p16, p17)
See Notes for most entries marked with "?" or "(*)".
- Census place (parish, township, etc.)
- Hundred = Shropham
- Supt. Registrar's District = Thetford
- Registration District = Thetford
- Enumeration District = 12
- Description = Kilverstone
- The columns transcribed are as follows :-
- Address (street, number, etc.)
- Un = "Uninhabited or Building"
- In = "Inhabited"
- A "/" in this column indicates more than one household
at the same address - although the enumerator is not
- Surname / Forename / Relationship to head / Marital condition
- Age / Male or Female (rounded to nearest 5 years. Under
15 yrs is exact)
- Whether born in same County ( Y or N ).
- Whether born in S(cotland), I(reland),or F(oreign) Parts.
F(olio) 2 - Page 16
|Isaac Miller||33||M S||Y|
|Charles Nelson||25|| Do||N|
|Elizabeth Kemp||33||F S||N|
|Elizabeth Lewis||27||F S||Y|
|Elizabeth Cook||23||F S||N|
|Lydia Sale||29||F S||N|
|Mary Magerson (*)||14||Ind Wards||N|
|Charlotte Do||12|| Do Do||N|
|Elizabeth Parkinson||21||Governess of the above||N|
|1||Jno Armitt||52||Baliff (sic)||N|
|Mary Ann -- (*)||17||Y|
|Mary Do|| 9||Y|
|Henry Do|| 6||Y|
|Simon Do|| 4||A G L||N|
|TOTAL in }|
Page 16 }
| (See Notes)|
|F(olio) 3 Page 17|
|Elizabeth Howe (sic)||37||Y|
|Alfred --|| 9||Y|
|Eliza --|| 7||Y|
|William Do|| 3||Y|
|Jno Howes|| 1||Y|
|1||Thos Crow||36||Toll Gate Keeper||N|
|1||Michale (sic) Shaw||51||A G L||Y|
|William Wing|| 2||Y|
|Thos Simons||37||A G L||N|
|Jno Clumer? (*)||20||N|
|1||William Denny||40||A G L||Y|
|James Do|| 9||Y|
|Jno Denny|| 3||Y|
|Ursula Do||10 Mon||[Months]||Y|
|TOTAL in }|
Page 17 }
| 3||15|| 8|
|Total on Page 16|| 4|| 10|| 14|
|Total on Page 17|| 3|| 15|| 8|
|Totals|| 7|| 25|| 22|
Total of Persons 47
[End of Census Document]
- All shorthand contractions in the document have been
reproduced as written.
- "--" indicates that no surname was present, not even "Ditto", "Do"
- Where the age is given in "Months" this has been contracted to "Mon"
in the transcription.
- The abbreviations are
"A G L" = "Agricultural Labourer", "Do" = "Ditto",
"F. S." = "Female Servant", "Jno" = "John", "Ind" = "Independent",
"Ind Wards" = "Independent Wards", "M. S." = "Male Servant"
and "Thos" = "Thomas".
- The text enclosed in "" was on the original but had been crossed out
but has been included here for completeness.
- In other documents and transcriptions the following alternative spellings
have been seen which appear to refer to the same people/places:-
Ursula Denny/Usla Denny, Magerson/Meggison, Olington/Ollington.
- The entry for "Jno Clumer?" is difficult to decipher.
The surname could be "Cleaner/Oleaner/Ceanor" or something else?
- The following Baptisms are noted from Kilverstone Parish Registers:-
- Bapt No 29 - 16/June/1839 - William son of William and Maria WING
of Lowestoft - Occupation of William = Servant.
- The following Marriages are noted from Kilverstone Parish Registers:-
The above marriages are purely pointers and further searching should be
done as the males may have married again females with the same
first names before the Census was taken.
- William OLLINGTON marr. Susanna MANN on 2/Oct/1787.
- Entry 6. Thomas MEGGISON of Inner Temple London and Mary CUBITT
daughter of George CUBITT of Catfield by licence on 18/July/1826.
- Page 16: The following was at the bottom in the margin :-
"Detached from Croxton Parish Grimshoe
Hundred No of District 12".
See also the
Kilverstone parish page and the
main Census page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and
the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web
pages. Please see the
Copyright © Mike Bristow.