KETTLESTONE, 3½ miles E.N.E. of Fakenham, has in its parish 219 souls, and about 1,100 acres, of which only 629 acres are assessable. Sir Chas. Chadd is lord of the manor; but part of the soil belongs to Sir L. Jones, the Earl of Leicester, and Mrs. Dew.
The CHURCH (All Saints,) has an octagonal tower, and had a guild of St. Erasmus. The living, a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10, is in the gift of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. James Cory, B.A. The glebe is 40A., and the tithes were commuted, in 1839, for £300 per annum.
A farm of 100A., belonging to Mrs. Dew, is charged with the schooling of two poor children, by the will of John Schuldham, dated 1713. The poor have the following yearly doles, for distributions of bread, viz:- £2 10s. out of Great Marl Pit Close, left by Blanch Schuldham, in 1738; £17 10s. from £500 three per cent. Stock, left by Wm. Newman, in 1827; £3 10s. from 2A. of land, left by the Rev. John Howes, in 1721; and 25s. from a cottage and garden, left by the Rev. John Branthwayt, in 1766. The Fuel Allotment, 25A., on which the poor cut fuel, and let the herbage, was allotted at the enclosure, in 1827, when 8A. (now let for £4) was awarded in respect of three Almshouses, occupied by paupers, and one of them given by Fras. Schuldham, in 1776.
Cory Rev. Jas., B.A. Rectory Dew Mrs. Barbara Green Ann shopkpr. Guymer Ann beerhouse, White Horse Millett J. carpenter farmers. Cory Chas. Olley Watts Ringwood Benj. Skrimshire Geo.
Copyright © Pat Newby.