Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Kempston

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

KEMPSTONE parish, 1½ mile S. of Litcham, has only 52 souls, and 809 acres of land, nearly all the property of the Earl of Leicester, who is lord of the manor and patron of the Church (St. Paul,) which is a small thatched fabric, with an ivy-mantled tower, and an antique font and piscina.

The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £4. 8s. 4d., and in 1831, at £110, is enjoyed by the Rev. A.W. Langton. The glebe is 30A., and tithes were commuted in 1841.

Kempstone Lodge, now the residence of James Clegg Moss, Esq., was the seat of the late Hon. General Wm. Fitzroy, one of whose sons fell at the battle of Navarino, in 1827.

The other farm is occupied by Mr. Thos. Chamberlain.


See also the Kempston parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
July 2007