Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Kelling

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

KELLING, in a deep valley, 3 miles N. of Holt, is a parish in Erpingham union, Holt county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Holt petty sessional division, Holt polling district of North Norfolk, Holt hundred, Holt rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 211 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2211 acres, and has a rateable value of £1852 10s., and a gross estimated rental of £2056 15s. The parish includes 800 acres of heath, which were mostly enclosed in 1731. Mrs. Purdy, of Belsize Park, London, is lady of the manor and owner of most of the soil, other owners being Mrs. Jane Davy, and Messrs. Wm. Purdy Davy and John G. Woodcock. It is contemplated to have a station on the common, on the Eastern and Midlands, Lynn, and Fakenham Railway.

The CHURCH (St. Mary) comprises nave, chancel, north transept, and square tower with one bell. The south transept is in ruins, the east window has some coloured glass to the rector's wife, and the chancel contains a fine canopied piscina. Mrs. Purdy, of Belsize Park, London, is patroness of the living. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £12, and now worth £540, with that of Salthouse annexed, is in the incumbency of the Rev. John Webb Flavell, B.A., who has here 14 acres of glebe and a good residence.

A SCHOOL BOARD for the united parishes of Weybourne, Kelling, and Salthouse was established in 1875, consisting of W.J.J. Bolding (chairman), C.W.H. Cozens-Hardy (vice-chairman), W. Dixon (Weybourne), J.P. Nurse, Frank Page, R. Owen, and E. Taylor. Hy. Lewis is the clerk. The School, built in 1876, cost £1355, will accommodate 120 scholars.

At the enclosure, in 1781, of 800 acres of heath, the poor received two allotments, viz., 147A. 2R. 30P., to cut fuel upon, and 28 acres to supply them with pasturage for one cow each.

POST from Dereham. Letters are received at 8.30 a.m., and are despatched at 3.30 p.m.

	Allen   William         farmer; h Weybourne
	Dewing  William         beerhouse
	Ebden   John            grocer and draper
	Flavell Rev. John       rector of Kelling with Salthouse,
	          Webb, B.A.      The Rectory
	Gibbs   Mrs Elizabeth   shopkeeper
	Green   Robert          farmer
	Jackson Peter           Board schlmaster
	Nurse   Jas.            parish clerk & molecatcher
	Nurse   James Platten   miller & farmer
	Taylor  Edward          farmer and surveyor

See also the Kelling parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
January 2009