KELLING, in a deep valley, 3 miles N. of Holt, has in its parish 223 souls, and 1772 acres of land, including 800A. of heath, which was mostly enclosed in 1781, when the poor received two allotments, viz., 122A. 35P., to cut fuel upon, and 28A. to supply them with pasturage for one cow each.
Mrs. Mary Ann Girdlestone, of Kelling Hall, owns most of the soil, and is lady of the manor, and patroness of the Church (St. Mary,) which is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £12, and in 1831 at £424, with that of Salthouse annexed to it, in the incumbency of the Rev. J.G. Girldlestone [sic], who has here 14A. of glebe, and a good Rectory House.
The other principal residents are
Girdlestone Mr. Robt. Davy Jph. and Wm. farmers and owners Gibbs Eliz. shopkeeper Nurse Edmund corn miller
Copyright © Pat Newby.